Download free excel template and dashboard to evaluate the performance of employees in your company or clients business. This is a ready to use and easy to customize free template for Spreadsheet, MS Excel, Open Office and Libre Office.
This template comes with pre defined formulae and fields that helps the HR managers and personnel to evaluate the performance of their employees and learn about efficiency of human resources. In this blog post, you can also learn about parameters to evaluate the performance of employees and things to keep in mind while conducting performance evaluation in brief.
Understanding employee performance evaluation
In Simple terms, employee performance evaluation is an important process that helps business managers and HR Personnel to ensure that employees are performing right and where they can improve. As an HR professional, you can evaluate employees on a quarterly, half-yearly, or yearly basis. Opportunities to enhance the efficiency of human resources can only be initiated when the current efficiency level is known.
Furthermore, such performance evaluations give us legal, ethical, and visible evidence of employee performance. It helps us to know, how actively they are involved, and how much they understand the job requirements.
Generally, the goal behind it is the development of employees and an overall improvement of the organization. Thus, employee performance evaluation plays a vital role in growth and development of the business and organization in total.
Purpose of conducting performance evaluation of employees
There are various reasons behind performance evaluation requirement for employees in any organization or industry. However, to list the general reasons and purpose behind performance evaluation of employees can be –
- Performance evaluation helps to understand whether employee’s output is as per the industry norms and standards.
- Helps to uplift the productivity of the organization.
- Employees can understand about their weaknesses and areas of improvements.
- Benefits both employees and employers to have a broad outlook on themselves.
- Data can be useful while doing inter and intra department or functional shuffling of employees.
- Need of additional trainings and skill development programs can be easily identified.
How is performance evaluation of employees conducted ?
Basically, employee performance evaluation can be done via three major processes, namely,
- Functional Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Leadership Skills
Evaluation of Functional Skills for employees mainly includes the quality of work, work habits, and job knowledge of the employee.
Quality of Work consists of the following:
- Accuracy, neatness, and timeliness of work
- Adherence to duties and procedures in Job Description and Work Instructions
- Synchronization with organizations/functional goals
Work Habits consists of the following:
- Punctuality to workplace
- Taking initiatives at the workplace
- Submits reports on time and meets deadlines
Job Knowledge consists of the following:
- Skill and ability to perform the job satisfactorily
- Shown interest in learning and improving
- Problem-solving ability
Interpersonal skills evaluation consists of the following:
- Response and contribution to team efforts.
- Positive response to suggestions, instructions, and criticism.
- Coordination with supervisors.
- Adaption to changing circumstances.
- Seeking feedback for improvement.
Leadership skills evaluation consists of the following:
- An aspiration to grow
- Accepting challenges.
- Adhere to new responsibilities and roles.
- Innovative thinking.
- Work motivation.
About Employee performance evaluation excel template
This template consists of 8 sections:
Header Section, Employee Details Section, Evaluation Section, Score System Section, Overall Progress Section, Recommendations Section, Final Comments Section, and Signature Section.
This template covers the skill and performance assessment criteria highlighted above. Additionally, you can also customize this template to include more criteria and parameters as per the requirement and policy of the organization.
Score System Section in this template has the scoring number from 1 to 5 for performance. 5 means outstanding and 1 means unsatisfactory.
Things to keep in mind while conducting performance evaluation of employees
Arbitrary standards can make an employee feel devaluated and underappreciated.
Biased evaluations by supervisors or department heads can lead to employee dissatisfaction.
If the performance evaluation is done poorly, the employees do not invest the energy and care that is necessary to genuinely improve.
Strict evaluation often leads to higher anxiety levels in employees when they are unsure of what to expect.
Frequent reviews make the evaluation meaningless and waste time.
Too kind review by inexperienced managers or supervisors can lead to a decrease in the efficiency of employees.
Download and use employee performance evaluation excel format
To use this free Employee performance evaluation template in excel, you should have Microsoft Office/ Microsoft Excel. You can only use this template if you have these applications in your system. or Use, Google Sheets.
After installing Excel or Spreadsheet, download the zip file of this template, extract the template using WinRAR or 7Zip decompressing software.
Once extracted, you can open the file using Excel and start entering data or customizing the template.